Wednesday, June 15

On my honour...

Right. No idea how this post is going to go today. Just going to type everything that I'm thinking. This is quite obviously a bad idea, but you know what? I don't care.

Let's rock.



1. Death


For some reason, the mortality of our human lives has been at the forefront of my mind recently. What happens once we die, is one question I've been thinking about. Eventually, I've given up thinking about the afterlife and started thinking of the pre-death stage. Define a good way to die. If you can, please share it. Death is a release to some but it shouldn't be. Death is an inevitable part of life, the grand conclusion of all we do, and all I can hope for is that I don't die in some kind of ridiculous accident involving balloon animals, lead based paint and a giant cactus. (That may or may not have been a recent nightmare.)

2. Religion


How do I put this gently? Umm, I'm going through what I like to call a "crisis of faith." Everything is up in the air in my head and I don't know what to catch. Once I straighten it all up in my mind I might revisit this.

3. Honour

It's been a while since anyone I know takes any notice of honour. People lie, cheat, steal and deceive each other every day. Oaths and promises don't mean much anymore and I don't understand why. I was an Explorer Scout, and to be one, you have to make "the promise." I can remember it off by heart even though I've not spoke it since 2010.
 "On my honour, I promise that I will do my best. To do my Duty to God and to the Queen. To help other people and keep the Scout Law."
Bam. From memory. And "On my honour" I still abide by that promise. Even though I don't consider myself a Scout anymore, I still keep the Scout Law.
  1. A Scout is to be trusted.
  2. A Scout is loyal.
  3. A Scout is friendly and considerate.
  4. A Scout belongs to the world-wide family of Scouts.
  5. A Scout has courage in all difficulties.
  6. A Scout makes good use of time and is careful of possessions and property.
  7. A Scout has self-respect and respect for others.
I even still follow number 4. I'm not a scout, but I talk to German Scouts occasionally, and if I was asked, I'd help with them here any time of day.
I still have my honour, for all that means in this modern day and age. It might not mean much to anyone else, but the fact that I know I'll keep my promises and oaths makes me content inside.

Explanation of Scout Promise and Law

Peace out bubs.
Andrew out.

No comments:

Post a Comment