Monday, September 26

University challenge & Fighting against stats.

Hi all. Let's talk. Let's talk about a subject that is very close to my heart.

Me. (In hindsight, I'm close to all of my organs. Except my kidneys. I hate my kidneys.)

This is week 3 of 2nd year for me. Having survived a brief avalanche of work and enduring at least one 5.45 am wake up a week, I'd say I'm coping.

Coping. Not excelling, not struggling, coping.

I've never claimed to be naturally talented at Chemistry, I've always just enjoyed it. Playing with chemicals, making things & bunsen burners. Those are the things I like. Those are the things I'm good at. Just look at my grades for last semesters lab work.
Semester 1 - A 
Semester 2 - A
I can do lab work. I am competent. (I'm not here to blow my own trumpet)

However, theory, theory is where I struggle.
After missing a key lecture on VSEPR last year, I struggle with that. No matter who I ask. No matter how many times I read through it in the text book (to date 24 times) No matter how many times that question comes up in the exam...
There are some things from first year that just didn't stick. Look at my grades for Chemistry Theory last year.
Semester 1 - D
Semester 2 - A (or B)
The reason I don't know whether I got an A or a B for semester 2 is because when I got the letter with the grades on it, my one concern was the bit that said "You are invited to return for a second year." I think that's understandable of me. I was expecting to resit something (Either Chembob or maths) and it was an extremely pleasant surprise when I got told I didn't need to.

The problem is, my semester 1 knowledge is flawed. I've been to remedial chemistry/consolidation chemistry/chemistry for idiots (whatever you want to call it) and I still don't get some things. Like organics. And VSEPR. Oh well, back to the books...

The thing is that I know that 55% of people that got "encouraged" to go to these Consolidation Chemistry workshops will fail. Statistically, I'm already only 45% likely to continue into 3rd year.

On this sobering note, I have to say that my already miniscule social life will have to suffer. As will my voluntary position as a Swimming coach. As will my paper round. As will my life.

I don't have to do well at uni. I want to do well at uni. And if that means I've got to chop off my leg, I'll ask which one.

(I would prefer to cut out my kidneys though.)

Peace out bubs.
Andrew out.

No comments:

Post a Comment