Monday, July 25

Muscles, Emotions & Drugs.

It's been a while since we've had a deep, meaningful post and I'm feeling particularly fantastic today so I'm going to get all touchy-feely with you all today.

For those of you new to my blog, that was sarcasm. (The fantastic bit)


I've always lived my life trying to be accepted. Trying to be wanted. To be liked. Loved. When things happen to you that mean you aren't any of these things, your brain shuts off and doesn't want anything to do with it. For a while now, I've been acting with the advice not from my head, but from my heart. (How a muscle can feel emotion is beyond me.)

Feelings are what makes us human. Do you see an animal displaying remorse at taking the last banana? Do you see an animal wanting to be anything other than itself? No, you don't. A horse will always be a horse and will never want anything else.

Humans on the other hand, we want to be successful. We want to be happy. We do things for the benefit of ourselves, not the species.

Selfishness defines us more than anything else.

Feelings always have a come down. Well, let me rephrase that, Good feelings have a come down. Well, bad ones do too, but they aren't as noticeable. Lets say I can give you a "drug" that will make you the happiest you've ever been, something that for an indeterminate amount of time will make you feel invincible, untouchable and content with your place in the world. Would you take it? Probably.

What about the come-downs then? Well, once all those positives have worn off, you'll experience loneliness, an utter inability to be yourself or be happy. You'll feel as if someone has taken a shard of metal and rammed it in your chest and any attempt to think back to the positives will cause you to feel it dig deeper into you.

Would you still take it?

I didn't think so. Feelings are just hormones coursing through your bodies. From my vague understanding of drugs, so are they. So why can't we choose our feelings?

For some people the shard goes away. For others it lingers. For the remainder it remains, always there but the sensation around it has long gone, drowned by alcohol, depression or another "high" of the "drug".

To conclude, I can guarantee this isn't about who you think it's about.

Peace out bubs.
Andrew out.

No comments:

Post a Comment